Find the Right Community for You
Achilles works with organisations to help them establish carbon reduction and energy management leadership within their organisations and across their supply chain.
As pressure from Government, investors and customers increase, credible actions need to be taken to tackle to the challenge of carbon and greenhouse gas emissions reduction. Every business should be able to measure, manage and reduce greenhouse gas emissions against a credible standard, and engage with their supply chain to achieve an overall reduction in emissions.
Achilles has developed a practical and proven approach to tackling emissions reduction. The approach is founded on three key principles:
• Robust measurement
• Verified reductions
• Collaboration with like-minded organisations
Achilles has also taken action to adapt the carbon reduction programme to ensure companies are also compliant with the UK’s new energy efficiency directive – ESOS.
Phone: +44 (0)1235 838188
|South West Water|
|Collaborative Carbon Management|
Greenhouse gas certification
Achilles provides the world's leading greenhouse gas certification, CEMARS (Certified Emissions Measurement And Reduction Scheme). CEMARS is the first global greenhouse gas certification standard to be accredited to ISO 14065. It is also approved by the UK Environment Agency as a
Carbon Trust Standard equivalent and an Early Action Metric in the CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme. CEMARS is also a recognised verification standard under the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP).
CEMARS is recognised in major economies worldwide and can be applied as the common standard across your global operations ensuring consistency of measurement and reduction. The standard is applicable to organisations in all sectors of all sizes.
Achilles provides organisations with guidance, tools, and confidence to measure a greenhouse gas footprint in accordance with ISO 14064-1. The scheme takes an organisation on a journey starting with robust emissions measurement through to credible emissions reduction.
Over 180 organisations globally are demonstrating carbon leadership with CEMARS.
The key benefits of CEMARS
- Robust measurement aligned with international practice;
- Verified reductions in carbon emissions to support sustainability claims;
- Internationally recognised certification in compliance with ISO 14064-1; and
- Preparation for current and future legislative carbon reporting requirements
Achilles operates CEMARS under licence to carboNZero Holdings, and ISO 14065 accredited certification body, which retains the authority and responsibility for the certification decision.
|South West Water|
|Achilles Carbon Supply Chain Info|
Carbon measurement and reduction in the supply chain
Achilles will drive supplier engagement on carbon measurement and reduction on behalf of an organisation. Achilles has proven success in establishing a collaborative community for buying organisations to share supplier best practices and in engaging with suppliers to encourage a focus on carbon measurement and reduction.
The objective of the supplier engagement is to:
- Collate data on suppliers' actions on carbon measurement and reductions;
- Independently verify tonnes of CO2 equivalent emitted by key suppliers; and
- Focus suppliers on efficiency gains and emissions reduction.
The programme is structured to maximise the benefits of collaboration between an organisation and its suppliers by providing a consistent methodology to carbon measurement and facilitating sharing of best practices and benchmarking. Both the buying organisations and suppliers benefit from the engagement.
Benefits to Buyers
- Align suppliers with your sustainability and carbon reduction strategies and targets;
- Gain visibility of carbon related supply chain risk;
- Meet your sustainable procurement goals; and
- Collaborate with like-minded organisations.
Benefits to Suppliers
- Understand how to manage and reduce your carbon emissions;
- Support claims about your emissions and reduction plans with verified information;
- Provide the information your Buyers need to make informed purchasing decisions; and
- Provide data to support your regulatory and sustainability reporting.
Nine of the UK's leading organisations in the Utility sector are collaborating to drive meaningful carbon reduction in their supply chain.
Energy Saving Opportunity Scheme (ESOS)
The Energy Saving Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is the UK’s implementation of Article 8 of the EU Energy Efficiency Directive. ESOS places the requirement on all non-SMEs to undertake an energy audit of their estate every four years starting in December 2015. A non-SME enterprise is currently defined as:
• One with more than 250 employees in the UK
• Or one with fewer than 250 employees, but an annual turnover exceeding £42.5m and a balance sheet exceeding £36.5m
• Or one that is part of a corporate group containing a large enterprise.
The keys aims of ESOS are:
• Reduce energy consumption - early estimates indicate that audits will lead to an average of 0.7% energy saving per enterprise.
• Cost savings - the net positive benefit to the UK of ESOS is predicted to be between £0.8bn and £3bn between 2015 and 2030.
• Lower carbon emissions – helping you work towards carbon reduction commitment (CRC) regulations.
Impartiality, independence and integrity
We understand impartiality and commit to providing impartial and transparent verification services for the certification of greenhouse gas assertions. We manage interests that have influence on impartiality and ensure that our certification activities are objective.
We conduct ongoing risk assessments to identify conflicts of interest which are reviewed by our Senior Leadership Team and the Independent Technical Advisory Panel made up of members representing our key interests. Both actual and perceived risks are assessed within a conflict of interests and related parties register. Management actions are implemented to eliminate, manage or minimise conflicts of interest where they exist.
Conflict of interest is further covered through contractually binding agreements to ensure that all our greenhouse gas certification activities are conducted with integrity in an independent and impartial manner. Personnel who are involved in verification and certification activities do not engage in consultancy or technical advice for these clients. We require internal and external personnel to reveal any situation known to them that may expose them or our greenhouse gas certification programme to any conflict of interest.
To provide our clients with confidence in our certification activities, it is essential that our certification decisions are based on objective evidence and that our decisions are not influenced by other interests or other parties.
If you have any concerns or queries regarding a conflict of interest, impartiality, independence or integrity, please contact the programme manager at email@example.com
We welcome comments, feedback and suggestions that our buyers, suppliers and general public may have that are related to our website, the carbonReduction programme and Certified Emissions Measurement and Reduction Scheme (CEMARS). Your feedback helps us to improve the programme service and guidance we provide to you throughout your subscription.
Should you have any complaints about our verification and certification services, we will work with you to resolve these issues in a timely manner. If we fail to resolve your complaint within an agreed timeframe, you have the right to raise your complaint with us. A complaint may be raised by a client, competitor or other stakeholder about any part of the programme. Please notify the carbonReduction programme manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where your organisation disagrees with a certification decision, we will acknowledge and investigate your concerns. If you are not satisfied with our response, you have the right of appeal to the Certification Manager. A final appeal can be made to the Joint Accreditation Service of Australia and New Zealand (JAS-ANZ) at www.jas-anz.com.au
Please send your feedback and suggestions to email@example.com.